I need more time to file my taxes and pay the IRS, what do I do?

249 viewsBusiness & Economy

I think that needing more time to file taxes or pay the IRS is a common problem, so you’re almost certainly not alone. In fact, it’s one of the tax problems listed here. My CPA in Tulsa OK helped me to resolve a similar problem a few years back.

From my knowledge of it, the IRS will give you an extension for any reason for up to six months as long as you file for one before the specified deadline. That should give you plenty of time to get things in order. I think that you can do this easily if you don’t anticipate owing any tax but if you expect you will, you’ll have to give them an estimate.

I think that they also apply a rate of interest on any unpaid balances, so it might work out more expensive to delay.

Bare in mind, before you act on any of the above, that I’m not a professional. Don’t take my word for it and consult someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Changed status to publish